We are primarily tasked with providing power transmission services, system services and facilitating the energy market. Our core tasks follow from our appointment as grid operator under the Dutch 'Elektriciteitswet' (E-wet) and the German 'Energiewirtschaftsgesetz' (EnWG).
About market facilitation
Our goal is to establish a single market that guarantees consumers a reliable electricity supply at a fair price.
TenneT has worked closely with other European TSOs and power exchanges since 2006 to connect electricity markets in North West Europe, physically as well as commercially. Our goal is to establish a single market that guarantees consumers a reliable electricity supply at a fair price.
We have completed, or are working on projects with our international partners to link European markets and improve cross-border cooperation:
- Market coupling: Belgium - France - the Netherlands (2008)
- Market coupling: Germany - Belgium - France - the Netherlands (2010)
- Cross-border intraday trading (2011)
- Intraday trading with Norway (2012) and the UK (2012)
- North West European market coupling: Scandinavia - the UK - Central West Europe (2014)
- Multi-regional coupling (MRC): North West Europe - South West Europe (2014). This MRC opens up the way to further extend of target model in Europe for a single, integrated price-coupled European day-ahead market.
- CWE flow-based market coupling (2015)
European collaboration (ENTSO-E)
The European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity (ENTSO-E) is a collaboration of 42 grid operators (TSOs) from 34 countries who work together in a number of key areas. These include the development of technical and market-related grid codes and coordinating system operation and grid development. As a member of ENTSO-E, TenneT is helping to build a more integrated European electricity market, contributing to a sustainable energy landscape, and ensuring the secure and reliable operation of the European power transmission system.
Visit www.entsoe.eu for an overview of the members of ENTSO-E.
TenneT in the electricity sector
TenneT is the sole transmission system operator (TSO) of the national high-voltage grid of the Netherlands. In Germany, TenneT is the biggest TSO among the 4 TSOs.Read more