We are primarily tasked with providing power transmission services, system services and facilitating the energy market. Our core tasks follow from our appointment as grid operator under the Dutch 'Elektriciteitswet' (E-wet) and the German 'Energiewirtschaftsgesetz' (EnWG).
Information for cable suppliers 525 kV HVDC XLPE
According to the "Routekaart 2030" the Dutch government will develop an additional 7 GW of wind energy areas until 2030. TenneT has been appointed by the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate to develop two offshore grid connection systems for integrating the IJmuiden-Ver wind parks into the Dutch power grid. These parks are a vital part of the Dutch government's ambitions. Each grid connection includes a 2 GW offshore converter platform.
To link the offshore grid connections to the onshore grid system a suitable cable system is required. This cable system shall be the connection between a 2 GW platform and a land station. To be able to transport the required 2 GW power, a submarine cable system operating at a voltage level 525 kV DC, using extruded insulation types is needed. At this moment in time a submarine cable system with such specification is not available on the market, and TenneT wants to stimulate the development of such submarine cable system.
The need for the development of such a cable system is derived from the expectation that this will reduce the costs of manufacturing and installation, not only for the cable system itself but also for the entire grid concept including the HVDC offshore platform and the HVDC land station. An additional positive consequence should be that the impact on the environment is reduced.
The intention is to develop a standard which can be used for all similar projects within TenneT but also be used by other TSO's. If other TSO's make use of such a standard it could lead to clarity and certainty for ventures about DC submarine cable requirements for this kind of capacity of TSO's. The requirements of this Development Program will apply for this and all other future 525 kV DC submarine cable projects of TenneT using XLPE insulation material.
TenneT wishes contribute to the development of this innovative cable type.
Applications for participation in the Programme and subsequently a limited compensation for the costs of development can be submitted during the period from 16 December 2019 until 17 January 2020 on the basis of the application form made available by TenneT and accompanied by the documents as requested.
By sending an e-mail to the following address: ijvsupport(at)tennet.eu, you can request the information package including:
- ONL-TTB- 05865 - Requirements for application to participate in the development and certification program of 2 GW 525 kV HVDC XLPE cable systems.
- ONL-TTB-05868 - 525 kV HVDC XLPE cable system specification for qualification testing
- ONL-TTB-05869 - 525 kV HVDC Cable PQT-AAT Specification
- ONL-TTB-05867 - Application form
ONL-TTB-05866 - Agreement 525 kV DC cable system programme
- Tuesday 12 November 2019: Publication of PQ test program on TenneT website and TED.
- Thursday 28 November 2019 starting at 08:30: Clarification meeting for all interested parties. (Location: Hotel Haarhuis Stationsplein 1, 6811 KG Arnhem, Netherlands)
- Monday 18 November – Wednesday 4 December 2019: Period for submission of questions.
- Tuesday 10 December 2019: Sending 'information notice' with answers to questions and updated documents, if applicable
- Monday 16 December 2019 – Friday 17 January 2020: Period for submitting applications for participation.
- Tuesday 17 December 2019 - Friday 24 January 2020: period for evaluation of applications
- January/February 2020: signing of the agreements
In the programme three different Routes (A or B or C) are distinguished (for further detail please see applicable documentation mentioned above) under the condition that the development of the 525 kV DC submarine cable system results in a AA/PQ test certificate to be available before or on 02 April 2022.
Please see the schematic figure below detailing the requirements for the different routes:
If a party is interested and wishes to participate in the programme, this party shall submit ultimately before the expiry date an application as specified in section 3 of document ONL-TTB- 05865. Please note that the maximum number of participants in all cases is eight (8) and only one (1) entity of a group company can apply for the programme.
Access to the programme:
- Applications for Route A – if the application meets the selection criteria and the requirements as specified in this document– the applicant shall be allowed access to the programme. If more than eight valid applications are received, the eight (8) first received applications shall be allowed access to the programme;
- Applications for Route B – If less than eight (8) valid applications have been received for Route A, the maximum number of participants shall be supplemented with valid applications for Route B. If the maximum number of participants is exceeded, the first received applications shall be allowed access to the programme up to the maximum level;
- If less than eight (8) valid applications have been received for Route A and Route B together, the maximum number of participants shall be supplemented with valid applications for Route C. If the maximum number of participants is then exceeded, the first received applications shall be allowed access to the programme up to the maximum level.