Tasks of metering companies
The liberalisation of the energy market means consumers can choose their own energy suppliers. They can also choose who measures how much energy they use. Metering activities may only be carried out by metering companies authorised by TenneT.
Tasks of metering responsible companies are:
- to provide and install a meter that measures energy consumption
- read the meter or collect the data remotely
- determine and validate the energy consumption based on the measured data
- transmit consumption data to network operators
- periodically check and maintain the meter.
Metering companies (both electricity and gas) must meet certain requirements as described in the Metering Code (Dutch only: ACM). Their compliance is monitored by TenneT TSO BV, which grants recognition to metering responsible companies. Authorised companies are listed in our metering (MV) register.