TenneT transports electricity along the high-voltage grid from where it is produced to where it is consumed. We carry out a number of tasks to keep electricity flowing smoothly and without disruption. These include:
- resolving any transmission hindrances;
- compensating for grid losses;
- maintaining the voltage and reactive power supply;
- managing and maintaining the national high-voltage grid;
- collaborating with regional grid administrators and neighbouring countries.
TenneT is not the only grid operator that transports energy. The regional grid operators also provide this service to the parties connected to their grids, including households. However, we are the only grid operator in the Netherlands with the capacity to carry electricity across international borders. In Germany TenneT is one of the 4 TSOs.
The transmission fee covers the costs incurred by grid administrators for transporting electricity.